Thursday, May 01, 2008

Plugged In and Losing Touch

Upward Call author Kim was talking about how she likes to go for walks to think and I thought about how I walk all the time but rarely do I go walking, or anywhere for that matter, without my ipod. I often times am listening to sermons or lectures and sometimes music but it would be rare and unintentional for me to go anywhere without my ipod. I think this is a weakness I have. Yeah, I listen to many good things and improve my mind but how much more I would benefit if I spent time reflecting on God, his word, and what he is teaching me. How much more I would benefit if I spent time wrestling in my mind over things I am learning and in prayer.

As I was thinking about this I also thought about how society seems to be plugged in more and more and interacting less and less. Maybe this is just my experience in Dublin (but somehow I doubt it). Living in Europe we have chosen not to have a car so I have learned the art of public transport. I find myself on the bus a few times a week and I always make sure to have my ipod. I always find myself looking around at everyone and am struck by how almost everyone is plugged in to something- usually an ipod or cell phone. Dublin is a city where people are continually on their cell phones, either texting or listening to music. Places other than the bus I notice how people are plugged in to not only cell phones or ipods but also laptops and gameboys. We seem to have turned into a society of people who don't want to interact or communicate. Is this true? Or is it that we just need to be entertained all the time? I would guess it's both.

On the bus I often think of talking to people. I think of how I should be sharing the gospel. I think of how I should be interacting with people just to know what people are like here. So why don't I? Mostly because I don't know what to say, I am somewhat shy, and people look like they do not want to be disturbed. I wonder if it is like this back home or is it just Dublin? Or is this just city life? People here keep to themselves but I assume it was not always this way. Before cell phones, ipods, laptops, game boys, portable DVD players, and texting people probably talked to eachother a lot more. We are losing touch with eachother.

1 comment:

Reegz said...

This is so true, in Ireland for sure I noticed it. In the suburbs I think not so much. Sometimes it depends where you are I think. People are very friendly and Minnesota nice over here! I guess you'll need to move back to break these nasty habits!