Sunday, June 29, 2008

West Coast Road Trip




Last month I headed off on an overnight road trip with some girlfriends to see the west coast of Ireland. We rented a car and drove across to Galway and then up to Clifden where we stayed the night in a hostel. It was my first time staying in a hostel. The four of us girls were lucky to get a private room for four with bunk beds but we still had to share the bathroom with everyone else. It wasn't too bad but I doubt I would ever stay at a hostel again on purpose! Clifden was a cute little town and we went out for a drink to hear some local music. The next morning we headed out and drove Sky Road. This road is up on hills overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and was absolutely beautiful. Then we headed to Kylemore Abbey which is a big beautiful castle in the side of a mountain, on the end of a long lake, where nuns still live today. The place was amazing! I decided to wait to tour the inside and grounds until I can go back with Matt. We then drove up the west coast further to the Achille Islands where we drove on switchback mountains roads on the sides of cliffs through the fog! YIKES!!! This road trip was the first I have been on with good weather since I have been here in Ireland. It was warm and sunny almost the entire time. And because it was spring there were baby cows, horses, and lambs everywhere. This trip I finally felt like I saw the real Ireland as it was everything you picture Ireland to be. In the photos you will see my American friend from North Carolina, Jessie(girl with blond hair), my friend from Brazil, Camila (girl with long brown hair), and my friend from Germany, Marianne (girl with curly brown hair). We had a great time taking to the narrow roads and rocking out in the car. Thanks for a great time ladies!

1 comment:

Lis Richards said...

Now you have 2 Brazilian friends! Great video and I love this song...
You look pretty, pretty, as always!
:)