Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Post From the Road


View Larger Map

Moving is said to be one of the 3 most stressful things in life. Well, I don't think I'd go that far but it definitely is stressful. With all the packing, spades, and goodbyes I didn't get a chance to blog my last week in Tucson. Suffice it to say it was busy and we were very sad to leave our most favorite city, our church, our friends and Matt's side of the family. We left Tucson yesterday morning hitting the road around 8 AM. Matt and his Dad led the way in the moving truck while I followed close behind in the Element with the cats. We had taken out the two back seats and built a cat wonderland in the back by erecting a plastic fence behind the the two front seats which we secured with plastic ties and duct tape. We then filled the back with blankets and pillows and of course the cat loo so the cats could travel in comfort. Indi yowled non-stop for the first 150 miles, sometimes convincing Sharptooth to do rounds with her. She finally settled down enough to just throw a few yowls here and there the rest of the way. The first day we traveled 720 miles, stopping to make camp in Clayton, NM which is near the border with Oklahoma. New Mexico is full of horses, chiles, kokapellis, and high desert landscape with the beautiful Santa Fe area being the highlight. Today we got back on the road around 8 again, driving through a bit of the panhandle of Oklahoma, then across Kansas (cows, silos, and oil rigs), and up into Kansas City, Missouri where we are staying tonight. Today's car ride, 540 miles,  was much quieter with Indi just giving me reminder yowls every once in a while lest I forget she was in the backseat. Tomorrow's journey will take us about 440 miles, through Iowa and then up into Minnesota -where the high there tomorrow is 14. The high in Tucson when we left yesterday was 70. I tried to encourage Matt by telling him he was going to experience living in 4 seasons for real now. He wasn't impressed. I guess I'll have to take him walking on a frozen lake...

3 comments:

All Flavors & Sabores said...

We see you soon my friend! I know you like surprises!

Miss you!

Lis :(

Jenny said...

Let me know if you guys want to borrow any winter gear, ice fishing equipment or what not when you get here. It is definately going to be a cold first week for your guys. :-)

PS - There is a cigar shop on Grand Ave. is Matt's supply is running low.

Brownie said...

I was blog hopping and came across your's.

WELCOME to the land of the Frozen! No, really - welcome to Minnesota.

Even though it's cold and snowy in the winter I hope you'll love the summer and the longer days - still daylight at 9pm. That's one thing my hubby (from southern CA) loved about the area.

Until the winter of '97. But that's a story too long for a blog comment!