Thursday, January 31, 2013

Choose the Wine!



Earlier this month we were invited to attend a dinner at one of Tucson's top steak houses.  This dinner happens once a year as a couple of medical reps take out the perfusion team and their spouses to a nice dinner to say thank you for buying all their medical equipment.  At the dinner it was brought to the host's attention that I am in wine so he asked me to choose the wine for the table.  I was afraid this might happen.  I have no problem choosing my own wine and relish the thought of food and wine pairing but to do this for a table of people.... yikes!  On top of this the host gave me pretty strict parameters in price and varietal.  Since most people were having steak I knew we needed Cabernet Sauvingon (the wine's tannins and the steak's fat are a match made in heaven) but the host insisted we have a Chardonnay and a Pinot Noir.  It was quite sad to have the best steak I ever had paired with the wrong wine but what can you do?  I picked a full bodied Chardonnay from California and a red Burgundy.  I suggested a Cabernet too but he wouldn't go for it.  Somehow I talked him into some bubbles and we started the dinner with a Champagne toast with my favorite Champagne, Nicolas Feuillatte!

For dessert we had creme brullee.  It was the best creme brullee I have ever had and one of the best desserts I have ever eaten in my life.  I hope to return to Flemmings to have this dessert again someday!

1 comment:

Sando said...

The question is why was your creme brulee look flat and like it was served into something that looks like a cross between a plate and a bowl with fruit on top?! Creme brulee belongs in a ramekin and should have no 'foreign bodies' on top or anywhere near it! Classic recipes don't need fiddling with! :P