Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Rundown of the 2007 Ligonier Ministries National Conference

This was the fourth Ligonier Ministries National Conference I've attended and was my most favorite one yet. This years topic "Contending for the Truth" is a favorite of mine as it encompassed philosophy and apologetics. I wanted to tell you about each lecture but unfortunately I lost all the notes I took so here is just a brief rundown of the conference.

Zacharias opened the pre-conference up with a bang when he spoke on "Postmodernism and Philosophy." Zacharias is an impressive speaker to listen to; filled with insight, wisdom and awesome stories of personal experiences. Mohler followed with a lecture on "Postmodernism and Society." Mohler is so up to date and in the loop on culture and current events and has a keen and discerning mind. RC Sproul Jr. then spoke on "Postmodernism and Christianity." I always look forward to Sproul Jr.'s lectures each conference and wish he would speak more than once. A question and answer session followed with the above mentioned speakers which is always enlightening and entertaining.

RC Sproul opened the conference up Thursday night with an awesome lecture entitled "The Task of Apologetics." This was one of my favorite lectures of the entire conference. John Piper entered the conference after Sproul with a lecture called "Faith and Reason" which, delieverd with all of Piper's passion, was superb!

MacArthur was the first speaker Friday morning and opened up with "The Challenge of Science." I expected this to be similar to his most excellent series called "Battle for the Beginning" but it was not as good. If you do not have "Battle for the Beginning" I HIGHLY recommend it. Piper followed with the "The Challenge of Relativism." This lecture was good but I liked his first lecture better. MacAthur then blew the crowd away with his treament of "The Problem of Evil." This lecture was typical of MacArthur and was outstanding!
Zacharias spoke in the afternoon on "The Existence of God" which was good but I liked his first lecture better. Mohler closed the Friday afternoon session with "The Authority of Scripture." By this time I must admit my brain had started smoking and was no longer functioning properly. I will have to listen to this lecture again when I get the conference DVDs.

Mohler opened the conference back up Saturday morning with "The Holy Spirit and Apologetics." This was Mohler's best lecture of the conference in my opinion and was excellent. After this was the last question and answer session. Zacharias, Sproul, and Mohler handled the questions and never ceased to awe and amaze with their wisdom. Zacharias is bold in the truth and at the same time so compassionate and respectful to those of other beliefs it is no wonder he garners so much respect himself. Sproul closed out the conference with "The Resurrection of Christ" and started out speaking on philosophy and Kant. This lecture was so interesting but I didn't get to hear the entire thing because we had to leave early. I can't wait to get the conference DVDs to watch the rest of this one!

All of the speakers were so good but I would have to say this year my favorite was RC Sproul. I got so much out of his lectures and can't wait to see them again. The music this year was also wonderful and I bought a CD from the Westminster Brass. There is nothing like hearing "A Mighty Fortress" played by the brass and the hugest pipe organ I have ever seen. It makes you feel like Martin Luther make come walking out at any minute!

Next years conference will be on EVANGELISM with RC Sproul, John MacArthur, Steve Lawson, Sinclair Furgeson, and Johnny Erickson Tada. Hope to see you there!

*Listen to Piper's sermons from the conference under event messages at
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/EventMessages/ByDate/
The titles are "Faith and Reason" and "The Challenge of Relativism."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

no photos?!?

-Rj

Dana said...

Photos are forth coming. Patience- I am working with dial up here!

Anonymous said...

I hope u share them with me!!!

Reegz said...

Nice overview. Ravi was definitely my fave of the conference this year with MacArthurs 2nd sermon a close runner-up! I am excited as well to hear them all again not under the influence of so much caffeine or maybe more?!

Anonymous said...

This also was the best Ligonier Conference of the past four I've attended...Contending For The Truth was, to me, totally honoring and glorifying to our Sovereign God. I had no favorite speakers because they all have their own uniqueness, in their teaching and preaching. However, the passion of John Piper was and is displayed in his every word and thought. Let us all desire to know our Lord with this same passion and seek that ....God is most glorified in us ..when we are most satisfied in Him !

Dana said...

Well said, Mom!