Sunday, January 06, 2008

Reflections on the Eternal City: The Vatican



Upon entrance into Vatican City I was immediately struck by the size of St. Peter's Basilica and even more so by the number of people in the square. The line to get into the Basilica wrapped around the entire square. Fortunately it was fast moving and we only waited about 30 minutes to get inside. The top of the square is lined with hundreds of statues. I assume they were of popes and saints. I was surprised there was no entrance fee and I was also surprised to pass through metal detectors before admittance.
Once inside there is a definite pathway through the huge building that carries people through in a pretty efficient manner. The Basilica is chock full of marble (taken from the Colosseum), gold, paintings, statues, and to my surprise popes- it seems all the popes are buried here. You see many of their caskets with big fancy shrines over top. Some of them were very ornate. There also a number of confessionals throughout for all different languages. I wonder if you get extra absolution or merit for confession at the Vatican?
The Basilica is shaped like a cross. In the middle is a large structure made of bronze (taken from the Pantheon) which stands under Michelangelo's dome and over the altar that the current Pope performs mass on. The Basilica was built over the remains of St. Peter which were moved here by Constantine. His remains are under the altar. Speaking of mass you can attend mass at St. Peter's while 5,000 tourists are walking through. Don't be distracted though- they do put a rope between the worship service and main flow of tourists...
I felt it necessary to see the Vatican because of my faith. I am not Catholic but the Roman Catholic Church has played a large role in the history of the church. Before coming to Rome I had been studying the life of Martin Luther (because I expected to be going to Germany in Feb). How much better this made Rome!! I really enjoyed walking around Rome listening to lectures on Luther's life. The selling of indulgences provoked Luther to write the 95 Thesis. These indulgence sales were to fund the rebuilding of St. Peter's- the very one I saw. There is much more to the story and life of Luther. I suggest anyone interested read "Here I Stand" by Roland Bainton.
So, what can I say about the Vatican? What can I say about St. Peter's- deemed by many to be the greatest church on earth? I can tell you I thought much of the Grand Palace in Bangkok while I was inside the Basilica. Both are a grand spectacles of idolatry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN ! AMEN! AMEN!

Reegz said...

Well said! Very interesting.