Thursday, March 27, 2008

Review of 2008 Ligonier's National Conference- Day 1

This was my 5th year in a row going to the Ligonier's National Conference in Orlando, Florida. It is the thing I look forward to the most every year. This year's theme was "Evangelism According to Jesus." It was not at all a conference on how to do evangelism but rather it centered on making sure we as believers understand the elements of the gospel message ourselves and stressed the importance the word of God plays in bringing people to salvation.

The conference kicked off with Steven J. Lawson's message "The Foolishness of Preaching." This was the first time I have ever heard Lawson preach. The conference emcee was right when he made a comment after Lawson preached that we had blast off! Lawson is a very strong preacher who preaches with authority and does not stop to take a breath- ever! He is rapid fire for an hour straight! Here are some of my favorite quotes from this teaching:

"The herald of the gospel is not results oriented but obedience oriented."

"Men today are more interested in filling the building than filling the pulpit."

"There is one solution to the human dilemma- the word of the cross."

"The wisdom of the world and the foolishness of the cross are going in two different directions."

"God designed the message and the method of how it would go forth(preaching) so that His wisdom and power would be on display."

"The preacher need not beguile the audience because people believe by the power of the word of God."

The second lecture was given by R.C. Sproul Jr. on "Evangelizing Your Children." I got a good laugh when Sproul Jr. was talking about how different denominations view their children: Lutherans, Methodist, & Anglicans are not worried about their children, Baptists view their children as horrible sinners who need to be preached the gospel, and Presbyterians see their children as "baby vipers wearing covenant diapers." Ha, ha, ha! Anyway, the overall theme of Sproul's message was that "To repent and believe the gospel is the answer to every problem." Sproul focused on how we need to be people who repent and not be people who live like we don't sin. His message was directed towards how parents are to evangelize children but was applicable to all relationships. Some quotes from message:

"We will never evangelize by pretending to be something we are not."

"They (our children and all people) need to us repenting and believing the gospel."

"It is foolish to think we will bring people into the kingdom by seeming that we don't sin."

The next message "Good News in a Fallen World" was given by Joni Eareckson Tada. This was the first time I had ever heard her speak and I have to admit I was afraid for her. I was afraid of how she would do. I mean she is a woman -and sorry if this is offensive- but women are not nearly as good at teaching the Bible as the men are. If you disagree with that send me some links to awesome and deep women Bible teachers and prove me wrong, PLEASE!) And not only is she a woman but she was teaching on the same stage as the GREATS! I was afraid for her. The truth is Tada was the like the horse at the track with the worst odds who won the big race. She was awesome! On top of her excellent teaching on bringing the gospel among the suffering in this fallen world her message was beautifully adorned with deep emotion, sensitivity, and compassion that only a woman could bring. Sproul added much by the addition of Tada to the conference this year. She teaches suffering with the authority of deep personal knowledge and reminds us:

"Suffering shows us who we are inside."

"When we are made to suffer we feel the sting of sin and it exposes to us what a poison sin is."

I really cannot do justice to her message but you could tell by the response of the audience that people were hit hard. After this followed a Q & A session with the three speakers. These sessions are a nice repose after brain frying lectures. Some small tidbits from the Q & A:

"The church gathers to worship and scatters to witness."

"Seeker sensitive churches are VBS for adults."

"Everyone rests in the gracious hand of God until they die."

"We live in a culture where people believe that a profession of faith saves them rather than a possession of faith."

Thus ended the pre-conference seminar. The actual conference started Thursday night with more rapid fire preaching from Steven J. Lawson, this time on "The Saving Power of God." Some of my favorite quotes from this message:

"Christ must be fully man and fully God to represent both parties in order to bring about reconciliation."

"We have not evangelized until we have shared the person and work of Christ." (this was said in regard to people thinking that sharing their testimony or witnessing is evangelism)

"We have been saved to serve."

"We bring a message so powerful that no one is beyond it."

"God's wrath is currently damned up by his mercy but it is building and building."

The last address of the night was given by John MacArthur on "Who Is Jesus?" MacArthur is my favorite as I have been raised in the faith on his teaching but I am most sorry to say that at this late hour my jet lag overwhelmed me and I became quite delirious and have no notes to pass on. I only recall what teaching I did hear was incredible- as usual. I look forward to listening to this message again.
Before I conclude this conference day I must give a shout out to the Westminster Brass and the organ woman who play the hymns that I look so forward to every year. The worship music at the Ligonier conference is the best. I wish they would come live at my church!

No comments: