Tuesday, August 28, 2007

More on Irish Living

I heard more from my new missionary friend in Ireland today. I had asked her if she has come to a point where she prefers Ireland over the US.

"Hmmmm, that's a good question. There are many things I prefer about Ireland. Lower crime rate, much beauty and history (coming from someone who grew up inLos Angeles!), fewer distractions (it's a much slower pace of life here in thecountryside), and of course a love for the people and culture and the ministryhere.I miss many things about America...cheaper prices! better and cheaper restaurants, FELLOWSHIP with lots of believers, more resources for Christiangrowth (bookstores, seminars, large churches...), more support for home schooling, certain foods...I don't know which I prefer. If we went back to the U.S. I would miss some things about Ireland; right now I miss some things about America.I think it helps, though, that I'm married to an Irish man. I have more of anaffinity for things Irish than I would otherwise. I know other Americans herewho just get really bothered about some things that I see as more amusing."

I also asked her about food/grocery stores there.

"There are many things that are the same. Large grocery stores will carry a lotof stuff that you are used to. There aren't nearly so many mixes, though...nomacaroni and cheese, rice-a-roni, or Hamburger Helper! You can get cake mixesbut they're sooo expensive, like $5 a box! No frosting mixes or pre-madefrosting in tubs. And no Crisco or Bisquick.

I'm looking forward to walking to the store, eating healthier, and losing weight!

1 comment:

Reegz said...

Looks like you'll be cooking a lot from scratch. You'll have to use magic now that you won't know how to measure.