Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Florence, Italy


From Venice we hopped a train to Florence which is just over 2 hours away. After seeing Venice Florence was not nearly as impressive but still a cool place to visit. To think of all the history that has happened there (birthplace of the Renaissance) and all the famous people (Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Dante, Galileo- to name just a few) who are from Florence or have spent significant time there is mind boggling! While in Florence we visited a few art museums where we saw a ton of Renaissance art, ate lots of delicious Italian food, saw the Duomo, walked across the Old Bridge, shopped in the Silk and Straw Market, visited the Science museum which holds remnants of Galileo's instruments and his finger, and saw the famous marble statue David at the Academia museum. David is by far the most impressive piece of art I have ever seen. I would say it is worth going to Florence just to see him! I didn't know where in the museum he would be and when I rounded the corner and found myself looking at him I was stunned! Stunned by his sheer size and beauty. As I stood below him I could not believe the great detail- the veins in his arms and the look on his face! Wow, what can I say but glory to God that he would create man with such skills as Michelangelo had! I enjoyed Florence though it was not as beautiful as Venice. I think it is safe to say Italy is my favorite country in Europe to visit.

1 comment:

Yunuen said...

Beautiful City! Did you bring back any recipes??? :)