Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Berlin


I am a little behind on my blog and slideshows as I have been out of town recently in Minnesota visiting my family.  So here I am taking a day to try and catch up on what I've been doing in the last few weeks.  In early November Matt and I took our first trip to the capital city of Berlin.  As I've said before  I really like visiting the country of Germany as it is a beautiful place with good food, friendly people, reasonable prices, and fascinating history.  During this trip we took a guided walking tour through Berlin, hitting all the major historical sites.  It was fascinating to see the remnants of the wall and hear about what it was like when it came down from our German guide who was there at the time.  I also really enjoyed seeing the Brandenberg Gate, the Reichstag, and hearing all the history having to do with the Nazis, Hitler, the Soviets, the Americans, the East and West division, how the wall came down, and the reunification after the wall came down.  My favorite site to visit in Berlin was Checkpoint Charlie which was the most famous crossing point between East Germany and West Germany during the Cold War.  I especially liked hearing the story about the standoff between the American and Soviet tanks.  You will see all these sites plus a whole lot of yummy German food on the slideshow.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Nomosian said...

that's a lot of interesting looking food!