Monday, June 25, 2012

Home Sweet Home!

We pulled into Tucson Saturday afternoon (June 9th) after losing the AC in our moving truck about 150 miles out.  We decided to take the Element off the trailer so I could drive the cats the remainder of the way as the truck quickly grew to 108 degrees inside the cab (poor Matt!).  Upon our arrival friends and family were there to greet us and help us unload the truck even though our poor timing brought us into Tucson during the hottest time of the day.  Sandi had cleaned up our house and stocked the fridge with important things like milk, almond butter, wine, cheese, and fresh vegetables from her garden.

Yunuen came over and brought the fixings to make us dinner but by the time she was done cooking I was taken over with dehydration and thoroughly overheated.  Friends and family ate up while I pounded gatorade.  I had planned on drinking my Nicolas Feuillatte Champagne to celebrate our return to Tucson but instead I found myself in bed at 7PM feeling absolutely dreadful and wondering if the desert was going to kill me my first day back!

The next morning I awoke feeling better and Sandi came over with monkey bread fresh from the oven  It was Sunday morning and Matt and I were finally able to go to our home church, Rincon- what a blessing!  The last few weeks have been busy with all sorts of fun things like unpacking and setting up our house, catching up with friends, swimming and BBQs with Matt's family, enjoying our first monsoon storm in years, worshiping at Rincon, buying a wine fridge, shopping at our favorite stores, eating at our favorite restaurants, Matt starting his new job and us celebrating his first day of work in Tucson with Nicolas Feuillatte, marveling over our view and the sheer beauty of the Sonoran desert, having a wine and cheese party on the porch for Matt's recent birthday and of course playing spades with the Jankowski's (who, to their credit, are the second best spades players in the world!).  

We have been back now just over two weeks and to our surprise we are still trying to adjust to this desert which I am calling harsh, but the most beautiful place on earth as far as I am concerned. I love Tucson and know it is where I belong.  That being said I miss my Minnesota people terribly and am ready for their visits!!

No comments: