Monday, May 15, 2006

As an affluent American Christian...

Once again I am blessed beyond belief by a book regarding saints on the other side of the globe. A few years ago I read "Totured for Christ" by R. Wurmbrand (who started Voivce of the Martyrs) which I cannot recommend enough. This man's testimony and the stories the suffereings of the saints across the globe defintily challenged my own faith. Reading about the lives of saints in third world countries and what they go through for their faith left me feeling like a waste of a Christian. These are modern day examples of men of whom the world is not worthy! Presently, as I am preparing for a missionons trip tp Thailand, I am reading "Revolution in World Missions" by K.P. Yohannan (who started Gospel for Asia). Like the Wurmbrand book this book is also challenging my faith. On top of the stories of the saints and God's amazing works this book also will convict you as an affluent American Christian and challenge you to take a look at your life and your faith. To read Yohannan's impression of America and American Christians is causing me to repent and ask for God to change me!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Reegz said...

Sweet. I love it. Books like those make you feel like you are a spoiled brat living in a posh castle. May our faith grow deeper when we read these awesome testimonies!

Anonymous said...

I like the way you type...I bet you're real hot!

Joey said...

Funny that you mention "Tortured for Christ." When I called my mom for Mother's Day, my brother picked up and said they'd just finished reading. (My family has always had a habit of reading a book together on Sunday afternoons.) I asked what they were reading and he said, "Tortured for Christ."

Guess that'll have to go on my list of "books to read."

Joey said...

I just happened to glance at my post and realized that I said "funny" and "Tortured for Christ" with just three words in between them. Not funny, but I think you catch my drift.... Ironic may have been a better word to use.

Anonymous said...

no doubt like when the Nandas come and talk about their mission work over in India and show pics of all sorts of workings and goings on they are doing for the Kingdom, man you just wanna...what's the word...oh yeah throw up and hide your shame of your wasteful living from the eyes of the Lord. On the Praise side though I love seeing other possible brothers and sisters on the other side of the world with the joy of the Lord on their face and wondering what they are thinking whe they hear the glorious news of the gospel? Isn't God so AMAZING how He is working in such detailed purposes every second!!

Anonymous said...

read that book (voices of the martyrs) There wasn't a day that I WASN'T TOUCH BY THAT BOOK The stories are absolutly amazing, It makes you wonder if I COULD ENDURE ALL THAT TORSURE, AND HOW SPOILED AND LAIDED BACK WE ARE, We GROW CLOSER AND SEEK CHRIST MORE WHEN WE SUFFER IN THE FLESH...VERY CONVICTING BOOK _

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»