Thursday, May 25, 2006

Scripture in Action

This morning while trying to share the Gospel over coffee with my co-workers I was reminded of the truth of John 3:19 where Christ says, "This is the judgement, tha the Light has come into the world , and men loved the darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil" and Proverbs 16:25 which says, "There is a way that seems right to a man but its end is the way of death." Seeing how much unregenerate man hates God's truth, rejects the Gospel and insists upon his own righteousness is so sad and so frustrating! The only positive thing out of such situations is the confirmation of God's truth that you see, or as I refer to it; Scripture in action. God said it will be a certain way and it truly is.

Pointing out to unregenerate man that he is making up God how he wants God to be (idolatry) does not get you anywhere. Nor does telling unregenerate man that he is a sinner (there are so many worse than him) and that God rejects self-righteousness (I ask -if you have a righteousness of your own then why did Gods send His one and only Son to die?). I am reminded yet again that the only hope for man is the sovereign grace of God and how thankful I am that He opened my eyes!

3 comments:

Joey said...

"Seeing how much unregenerate man hates God's truth, rejects the Gospel and insists upon his own righteousness is so sad and so frustrating!"

But so glorious when you are able to witness God break through! And at the very least, you're making an effort to be used as an instrument of God.

The most difficult thing for me about evangelism is the fact that the majority of Americans would claim to be Christians, yet very few have lives that reflect it. How do you communicate the Gospel to someone who claims to already know and accept it?

And it's at this point that I return to the grace of God for my answer!

Anonymous said...

I think of "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord Lord' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father in heaven" Matt 7:21 I know family members who unless they truly repent will hear these MOST frightening words. And yet while they are still here it IS SO hard to witness to them it breaks my heart.

I love though that God promises "So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it." Isa 55 6:11

Even if the people I/we love never come to saving faith, I must hope and trust in the fact that proclaiming God's truth has eternal rewards far greater than anything we can think of. Afterall everything is done and will be for His glory!

Reegz said...

Amen on the "claiming to be christians and very few reflect it." I don't understand how you turn to the grace of God for an answer there. That it just plain discouraging. Yes, I know man cannot judge the heart but, when you witness to someone who already thinks they're saved and there's no fruit? Frustration!