Monday, March 15, 2010

Brazilian Pastel Night


Last night Matt and I were invited to have Brazilian Pastel made by our Brazilian friend Cristiane.  Pastel is a crispy deep fried pastry filled with savory or sweet fillings.  Cristiane made two kinds, minced meat and cheese.

I met Cristiane a few months ago  through my friends Edwina and Sandra who are flatmates with her.  She is from the south of Brazil and has been here for almost three years.  I have really enjoyed the Brazilians and Australians I have met over here as I find them to be very friendly and American compatible.

Sandra and Edwina as well as Edwina's fiance, Ebe, and another friend of Cristiane's joined in the pastel extravaganza also. The 7 of us had a great time devouring pastel and laughing about all kinds of things.  As the Irish say,  it was good craic!  Pictured from left to right, Cristiane (Brazil), Sandra (France), Matt, Edwina (Ireland) and Ebe (Ethiopia). 


4 comments:

Vivi DiLopes Adams said...

Next time, ask her to fix pastel with banana and cinnamon filing. It's delicious.

Dana said...

Ooh, that sounds good. I will have to go to the Brazilian supermarket and get the pastel dough and make them myself!

Reegz said...

I want some of these yummers! you guys eat such delicacies! We're having jailfood and potluck again over here. MMMNNN!

All Flavors & Sabores said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE PASTEIS! Lucky girl! Miss you!