Friday, October 21, 2011

Work Research...

I didn't really start drinking wine until we were living overseas.  I mean we would have wine with Matt's dad when he would take us out to eat at nice restaurants but I really didn't appreciate it and often times it just made me sleepy.  Living in Ireland and taking multiple trips around Europe changed all of that.  It started with wine tastings and turned quickly into full  blown love for wine.  I remember the first time we went to Italy, drinking carafes of wine that were filled from spigots on the wall in the restaurants.  Though the atmosphere was so cool I remember thinking Italy's wine odd.  Then somehow Chiantis became my favorite and sangiovese my grape of choice.  

When traveling we tasted wine almost everywhere we went and were even fortunate enough to do wine tours in Bordeaux, France and in Tuscany.  These I will never forget as seeing vineyards and chateaus in the Tuscan countryside is nothing less than stunning and eating a multiple course French meal with fresh cheeses and wines is unforgettable.  My mouth waters even now at the thought of it and my heart fills with joy!  

Most women like sweet white wines- well, not me.  The bigger, the bolder, the redder, the better!  Give me Chiantis, Cabernets, Zinfandels, Tempernillos, and  Portugal's best reds.   Give me any red wine from Italy and I will love it.  Give me a full bodied, fruit forward, dry, smooth wine but do not give me sweet.

I know what I like but now working at a wine store I see how deficient my knowledge is in wine (particularly in whites) and I am excited to learn more, taste, read and share with those who come in.  So I've pulled out all my wine books and have started tasting wines I don't normally drink (as you can see in the picture above I had a Chardonnay with dinner last night which is unheard of in my house).  The wine vendors that come into the store will no doubt also be of great value in my wine education and I've already met my favorite vendor who carries my favorite wine of all time which is a Cabernet Sauvignon called Souverain from the Alexander Valley.  I am trying to talk my bosses into carrying this wine so the vendor is going to bring it in for them to taste.  He is also bringing a great Chianti called Castello Gabiano.  We visited this gorgeous vineyard while in Tuscany.

3 comments:

rsctt said...

we live in a great wine area on California's central coast..try Nagy wine

http://wayfarersquest-rsctt.blogspot.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Reegz said...

What knowledge you are bringing to this store! How fun for them and you!