Monday, September 10, 2007

Our First Weekend

I am having a bit of tea as I wait for Matt to arrive home from his first day of work. I searched the online letting sites all day for an apartment. I have one or two to go view tomorrow if I can find my way alright. Navigating this monster of a city is difficult to say the least. The bus system is good but traveling by bus can be very time consuming, espcially when you don't know where you are or where you are going. There are probably short cuts we will learn.
Over the weekend we took the DART train to a suburb outside of Dublin called Dalkey to see the sea. On the way there we met a very friendly young Irishman who gave us the scoop on many things including where Bono lives. I guess you can get a pretty good view of his house and read the lyrics on his gate. This guy told us he saw Bono on the motorway one day in Dublin, sunglasses and all. Apparently U2 plays concerts yearly in Dublin and they always sell out. It would be pretty sweet to see them in their hometown. It was nice to see the sea and there were a few old castles in Dalkey and a large, pretty Anglican Church. You can buy an all day pass for the DART and travel up and down the sea coast along Dublin for a small price, getting on and off at the different little towns.
I was unable to go to church yesterday due to timing conflicts with an apartment viewing. Plus, the two churches I want to check out are not near my hotel so it will be good to get settled nearer to the city center. I asked Matt's boss if she knew where the Grosvenors Road Baptist Church was because it seems to be near the apartment she owns. I think I threw her off. I am not sure if it was that she was surprised there was a Baptist Church in Dublin or if she was just surprised that I was asking for the Baptist Church. I did try to stop in at Christ Church Cathedral Sunday morning because I was near it but I found out mass was an hour and half and I didn't have enough time. Christ Church is absolutely stunning from the outside- the grandest church I have ever seen- and I wanted to hear the organ and hymns but I will have to go another time. I am hoping this weekend to go to one of the two churches the missionary recommended to me and make some friends!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep us informed!!!