Monday, December 17, 2007

God is Creator, God is Wise

At the end of my OT Survey text book is a chapter that does a beautiful job of declaring the beauty and majesty of God in a short series of statements on His attributes. Reading it my heart was bursting forth in praise to the one, true, living, and most glorious God. I am going to do a series of posts on what was in the book so your heart can praise Him too!


GOD IS CREATOR

He who forms the mountains,
creates the wind,
and reveals His thoughts to man,
He who turns dawn to darkness,
and treads the high places of the earth-
The LORD God Almighty is His name.
-Amos 4:13

There is nothing that God did not create. As discussed in the chapter in Genesis, the point of establishing God as Creator is to establish Him as the Sovereign. There is a straight line of logic from Creation to Covenant to History to Eschatology.
Since God created everything, He is sovereign over everything. Nothing is beyond his power or knowledge; He is accountable or subordinate to no one; He shares His position with no other being. This is affirmed in the testimony of Job: "I know that You can do all things; no plan of Yours can be thwarted" (Job 42:2). It is also foremost in God's own presentation of His credentials.

Remember the former things, those of long ago;
I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like Me.
I make known the end from the beginning,
from ancient times, what is still to come.
I say: My purpose will stand,
and I will do all that I please...
What I have said, that I will bring about;
what I have planned, that I will do.
-Isaiah 46:9-11

GOD IS WISE

Creation was not accomplished in a haphazard or arbitrary way. The Old Testament affirms on numerous occasions that God's wisdom is evident throughout creation. Wisdom personified speaks in Proverbs:

The LORD brought me forth as the first of His works,
before His deeds of old;
I was appointed form eternity,
from the beginning, before the world began.
When there were no oceans, I was given birth,
when there was no springs abounding with water;
before the mountains were settled in place,
before the hills, I was given birth,
before He made the earth or its fields
or any of the dust of the world.
I was there when He set the heavens in place,
when He marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,
when He established the clouds above
and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,
when He gave the sea its boundary
so the waters would not overstep His command,
and when He marked out the foundations of the earth.
Then I was the craftsman at His side.
I was filled with delight day after day,
rejoicing always in His presence,
rejoicing in His whole world
and delighting in mankind.
-Proverbs 8:22-31

Further expression of this is found in the great hymn to wisdom in Job:

Where then does wisdom come from?...
God understands the way to it
and He alone knows where it dwells,
for He views the ends of the earth
and sees everything under the heavens.
When he established the force of the wind
and measured out the waters,
when He made a decree for the rain
and a path for the thunderstorm
then He looked at wisdom and appraised it;
He confirmed and tested it.
-Job 28:20, 23-27

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite is the verse from Is.46I LOVE IT !