Friday, December 21, 2007

God is Loyal, God is Redeemer

GOD IS LOYAL

Once Yahweh entered into the covenant with Israel, He was characterized by steadfast loyalty to that covenant. His loyalty in reference to both the created order and the covenant with Israel is praised in Psalm 136. The term was translated "mercy" in the King James version and rendered "lovingkindness" by the New American Standard Bible. The New International Version renders the word "love." While it is true that love, kindness, mercy all result from Yahweh's covenant with Israel (among other things; see Deut. 7), it should be recognized that the driving force behind all these qualities was his loyalty to His elect people and the agreement that He made with them.

GOD IS REDEEMER
Finally, one of the most significant attributes to surface as a result of Yahweh's election of Israel is His deliverance of them. As His revelatory people, they witnessed His salvation.

"You are My witnesses," declares the LORD,
"and My servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe Me
and understand that I am He.
Before Me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after Me.
I, even I, am the LORD,
and apart from Me there is no savior.
I have revealed and saved and proclaimed-
I, and not some foreign god among you.
"You are My witnesses," declares the LORD, "that I am God."
-Isaiah 43:10-12

One of the best Old Testament summary statements serves as a fitting conclusion:

"For the LORD your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome... Fear the LORD your God and serve Him. Hold fast to Him and take your oaths in His name. He is your praise; He is your God," -Deuteronomy 10:17,20-21

No comments: