Saturday, February 23, 2008

Reflections on Paris: The Louvre



On our trip to Paris we visited the most impressive Louvre. I wasn't all that excited to go but once we started our 3 hour trek through just a sliver of this massive museum I was glad I went. I love art depicting Christ or Bible stories and the Louvre had many beautiful paintings of this kind. In this slide show you will see a painting of St. Sebastian, a Roman soldier who was shot through with arrows for his faith. The catacombs I visited in Rome were the St. Sebastian Catacombs. You will also see a painting of John the Baptist's head on a platter, David holding the head of Goliath, and many paintings beautiful depicting Christ. The most famous painting at the Louvre is the Mona Lisa- she was fun to see. Near the end you will see Matt standing next to his favorite painting. It cracked me up that they had this painting in a museum with such famous pieces. We only had time to go through the paintings and catch a few great sculptures on the way out. I may have to go back to Paris just to see the rest of the Louvre and to have some more croissants!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the sculpture you showed in the beginning. Is that the Samotracia's victory? It's the one with a female on a garment with wings and headless. The louvre is certainly impressive in your slide show!

Matthew said...

Dana was embarrassed to say that I was the one who recognized all the bible scenes first!

Reegz said...

And she didn't ell you that she used your knowledge by walking behind me and whispering it every so often. I knew it was coming from an outside source.

Dana said...

LIES AND FIBULATIONS!