Friday, February 01, 2008

European Reading

When we moved to Ireland I brought a whole bag dedicated to just books becuase I love to read. Knowing I would only be able to bring so many due to weight restrictions I had to carefully choose. About half of the books I brought were chosen because they were biographies on the lives of amazing saints who were of Europe. I figured it would be the perfect time to read about them while I was over here since I would likely be able to visit some of the places associated with them. Over December I read what I understand to be the greatest treatment of the life of Martin Luther. It is called "Here I Stand" written by Roland Bainton. It was excellent! I came to know and love Luther in no time. I knew he was a very important figure in church history but until I read this biography I did not know that he was responsible for so many changes and developments in the church. We have so much to be thankful to him for. Praise be to God for giving the church such a gift! The book was not only on Luther the man and his theology but the author really took the time to explain Luther's Germany and what was going on in the church. Reading how he came to his understanding that the just shall live by faith was awesome. I also really enjoyed the chapter that dealt with Luther's marriage- beautiful and humerous! Reading this book while I was in Rome was priceless!
After finishing with Luther (and feeling so proud to be German) I began to read a book on Charles Spurgeon. The book I read, called "A Marvelous Ministry," was not a full treatment of Spurgeon but was a great place to start. When I first became a Christian I read a lot of Spurgeon's sermons and enjoyed them very much but it has been a while since I have read him. After reading about his life I am ready to get back into him. Two things I absolutely love about Spurgeon- how he called men most earnestly to come to Christ and how he preached most boldly the doctrines of grace. AMEN BROTHER! Sprugeon's kind of preaching is not heard today- WHAT A SHAME!!! This man was an amazing preacher with a deep love for Christ and an undying love for the lost. What a generous and loving Father to give such gifts to the church!

1 comment:

Reegz said...

In just a few daya we will be where he preached huh?