Saturday, November 29, 2008

Paella at Home








After visiting Spain and partaking in the most delicious paella I thought I should try making it at home. Now I don't have the special paella dish that you're supposed to cook it in so I cooked it in my biggest frying pan and it turned out great. Here is the recipe I used:






4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 ounces chorize sausage, cut into pieces
3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
1 (12 ounce) package uncooked Arborio rice
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 pinch saffron
1 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1/4 cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
8 slices lemon, for garnish


Heat olive oil in paella pan over medium heat. Add in onion, garlic and pepper; cook and stir for a few minutes. Add chorizo sausage, diced chicken, and rice; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 3 1/2 cups stock, wine, thyme leaves, paprika, and saffron. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 15 minutes; stir occasionally. Taste the rice, and check to see if it is cooked. If the rice is uncooked, stir in 1/2 cup more stock. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally. Stir in additional stock if necessary, up to 2 cups additional stock, 5 cups total. Cook until rice is done. Stir in tomatoes and peas. Cook for 2 minutes. Cover with foil, and leave for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the foil, and scatter parsley over the food. Serve in paella pan, garnished with lemon wedges for squeezing.

7 comments:

Ryan J said...

arborio rice? we have everything on the list but that. does regular, non-arborio rice work?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful presentation...You are truely your mothers' daughter...MOM

Dana said...

I actually used regular rice- as aborio is about 5 euro a box here- and it worked just fine. You guys should make it, it was great! Also it usually has seafood in it so stick some shrimp, prawns, or mussles in it for the full effect.

All Flavors & Sabores said...

It looks so good! I will try hard to make it. But I do think you should come over and make for me.
I missed you Saturday. We had about 23 people over for our brunch. Can you come back please?

Anonymous said...

The dish looks great! Pork also goes well with it, but a lot of people do not like pork... I do, so keep that on mind for the next time I see you...
Lis, I second your proposal... you guys should just come back and live off welfare if need be... :)

Vivi DiLopes Adams said...

I love paella... I will definitely try your recipe!

Ryan J said...

are you and Matt on blog strike? When are we going to hear the news? Why aren't our calls being returned??? When are we supposed to buy our tickets??? Are you still afraid of losing??