Monday, April 19, 2010

Malta



Matt and I took a trip to the Mediterranean island of Malta a few months ago.  We rented a car and drove all around the island which is only about 17 miles long and 8 miles wide.  While there we saw St. Paul's Bay where St. Paul shipwrecked in Acts 27-28.  I love visiting Biblical places so this was my favorite place to see on the island.  My next favorite place to see was the old city of Birgu, also known as Vittoriossa.  Birgu is a really beautiful old harbor where one of my favorite movies, The Count of Monte Cristo, was filmed.  This harbor also houses the most beautiful vessel I have ever seen called the Maltese Falcon. When we came around the corner and saw it our mouths just dropped open.  Who could own such a ship?!  We had a great time in Malta, eating lots of pizza and pasta, Maltese pastizzis which are ricotta filled puff pastries, and drinking local Maltese wine.  It is a beautiful island covered in forts and overflowing with natural beauty.  Malta also has more churches than I have ever seen in one place.  The day after we left was the annual festival of St. Paul's shipwreck.  It would have been fun to be part of that!

(Song "These Times" by The Normals)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How BEAUTIFUL Malta is ! MOM

Reegz said...

Good song. Great pics. Yummer lookin foods! Beautiful place. Why didn't I get to go THERE?

Reegz said...

Oh yeah, and I love the Count!

Sando said...

Paul would probably hate the idea that a statue was erected for him.... nice pics though!!!! :)